Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/help

Question
Hello sir

Sir when one country got is democreacy then people of other country also demanded for demcratic nation during monarchy rule.How people came to know that other countries have beacme democratic.

My second dout, is ,now also in any country in the world monarchy is their.

My third doubt in pakistan president is their, but why their is a dictator ship

Answer
Hello,

Different countries have always had different levels of participation in government.  Generally a country is considered democratic if the majority has the ability to get the government to do its will. In countries where a dictator is in control, it is not usually because the people are unaware that other countries allow the people more say.  Rather, it is because the dictator exerts power that prevents the people from exerting their will.  For example, if a dictator can control the military, or other powerful elites within a country, and those groups can in turn compel the obedience of the people through force or threat of force, the dictatorship is successful.  

If the people rise up to overthrow the dictator, they may be successful, but may have trouble establishing a democracy.  For example, Libya overthrew a military dictator a few years ago, but now the country is in chaos with local warlords oppressing the people and fighting for power.  In other cases, a revolt may be unsuccessful entirely, in which case the dictator may take revenge on those who rose up.

Monarchs are a form of dictator, ones with hereditary succession.  In some countries,  a monarch is still nominally in power, but elected officials have most power over policy.  Britain is a good example of this.  In some cases a monarch may hold limited power but also rely on a legislature, such as in Jordan.  In other chases, monarchs are still very much in control, such as in Saudi Arabia.

In other cases, there are countries that are nominally democracies, but which use coercion, election fraud, or other methods to maintain control against the will of the majority.  Iran is a good example of this.  Pakistan is another case where leadership is nominally democratic, but where certain interest groups, such as the military leadership, exert control over the elected leaders and use undemocratic methods to keep fair elections from being held.

In short, democracy is not a given.  People must fight to get it and fight to keep it.  There is a constant struggle for power.  If people cede that power to certain groups, often because they believe it will benefit them economically, or because they fear the consequences to them if they resist, then that power is lost and must be fought for again at some later time.

I hope this helps!
- Mike

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy