Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/help

Question
Hello sir

Sir in our civics text book, in lesson number 1--> Democracy in the contemporary world, there at the starting of the lesson, they have given introduction which is

This chapter begins with different stories on the making and unmaking of democracy from different parts of the world. Theses stories are meant to give a sense of what it experience democracy and its absence. We present a pattern of the spread of democracy first with a series of maps and then with a short story. The focus in this chapter is on democracy within a country with in a country. But towards the end of the chapter, we take a look at democracy or its absence in the relations among different countries. We examine the working of some international organisations. This allows us to a big question  : are we moving towards democracy at global level.

Sir in lesson first they gave Two Tales of Democracy
A> cHILE

b> POLAND

nEXT THEY GAVE TWO FEATURES OF DEMOCRACY
nEXT THEY GAVE CHANGING MAP OF DEMOCRACY
nEXT PHASES IN THE EXPANSION OF DEMOCRACY
next Democracy at global level

In this lesson confusing topic is the two  tales of democracy about chile and poland  are given  to provide a sense of what it means to experience democracy  and its absence. Then to present a pattern of spreading of democracy they gave about french revolution.Sir Those two tales of democracy cannot provide  the pattern of spreading of democracy. Why they gave different story for shaowing pattern of spreading of democracy, those two tales of democracy can also provide a pattern of spreading of democracy.

Sir if not got answer please on time go through the lesson, it is  available online
Ncert text book democratic politics, class 9th lesson 1

oR U WILL GET SUMMARY
t

Thanku

Answer
Hello,

I took a look at the textbook you referenced.  It discusses the military coup in Chile in the 1970's which overthrew a democratically elected government.  The article on Poland discusses the transition from a Communist dictatorship to a democracy.

You are correct, that you cannot see a worldwide trend based on two examples. I would also point out that those examples are already dated.  Chile transition back to a much more democratic government in the 1990's after about two decades as a dictatorship.  In Poland today, some are questioning the government's dedication to democracy:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2016-03-11/official-poland-rights-repo

The reality is that the world is in a constant state of change.  Some countries are becoming more democratic while others are becoming less.  Sometimes these changes are subtle through minor reforms.  Other times there is a major shift, through a coup or a popular revolt.

Over the long term, the last few centuries, democracy has generally increased.  Before the United States adopted an elected government in the late 1700's, there were almost no democracies anywhere.  That changed considerably during the 19th and 20th Centuries.  Much of Europe made the move during the 19th Century, in part due to the French Revolution, Napoleon's conquests and the break up of the power of the royal families.  After WWII, former European colonies became independent and largely became more democratic.

This is not to day some moves do not go in the other direction.  As with the example of Chile, there had  been a fairly democratic government that was overthrown by the military.  That happens frequently.  A few years ago, Egypt had free elections only to see them overturned by the military.  Just last night, there was an attempted military coup in Turkey, although that one appears to have failed.  So while the long term trends seem to be moving toward more democracy, there are many occasions where democracy can be lost as well.

- Mike

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy