Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Eligibility to serve as president

Question
Would a former president, having served two full terms, be eligible for the position of vice president and, in the event of the sitting president's untimely demise, could said person assume the office of President for the remainder of that term. The 22nd amendment explicitly says a person cannot be "elected" for more than two terms but in this scenario the additional years would not be by way of election.  Thanks!

Answer
You are correct.  There is no prohibition on a person serving as Vice President after having served two terms as President, nor of that person assuming the Presidency should the President die or resign.  The 25th Amendment only prohibits a person being elected as President after serving two terms.  It does not prohibit that person from assuming the powers in a way other than election.

It is hard to imagine such a scenario in the real world, but theoretically it is possible.

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy