Lesbian Life/Expertise

Question
I know this is probably more of a steriotype (partly propagated by "Sex & The City"), but many straight women seem to like having a gay male friend around to talk about clothes and TV drama. If a straight guy were to have a lesbian as a friend, what would likely be their common ground?

Answer
Hi James,

Well, I think the "common ground" you are looking for would be checking out women and the interest in dating women. That is my experience at least. However, the bigger common ground I experience with my male friends is no different than my common ground with all of my other friends, which would be hobbies, interests, and personalities.

But, as the stereotypical gay man loves fashion and shoes, lesbians have the insight to what other women are thinking and can help their straight male friends pick-up women. Straight women look at their gay male friends as "one of the girls" just as straight men view their lesbian friends as "one of the guys". But, that is pretty much just based on stereotypes and really isn't that common.

Most gay men I know aren't the type to pick out clothes for their female friends (even the boys who love fashion and clothes) and most lesbians I know (myself included) aren't butch or into sports or "picking up chicks". Hope that helps.

Lesbian Life

Alicia Thompson