Liberals: Left of Center/Did this happen?

Question
Is it true that there was a group of evangelical christians who burned a bunch of gay-themed books in Sarah Palin's hometown of Wasilla, Alaska during her time as mayor of Wasilla?

Answer
David,

Thanks for your question! I'm not sure if you know of the online resource, "Snopes." I would highly recommend it as a dependable publication that investigates and puts through the toughest scrutiny those "stories" or "reports" one hears by word of mouth, or reads on the Internet, which more often than not end up being what we'd call "urban legends" or "myths."

What I found in "Snopes" on forbidden books during the time of Sarah Palin's Mayorship in Wasilla is in the page you'll find at the link below. My best guess at the answer to your question is that it's just one offshoot of an urban legend (about Sarah Palin wanting to ban books in that town's library) that originates as described here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

For more on "Snopes," the publication, here's the Wikipedia page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snopes.com

I subscribe to the "Snopes" newsletter, which is free and comes in your email. It's a lot of fun, and does come in handy when you hear, say, that something is very unhealthy to eat or drink, and you might even find out the initial truth - or debunking on it - right there.

Hope I've helped here. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me with further questions.

Best wishes,

Nell  

Liberals: Left of Center

Nell