Liberals: Left of Center/How do you think they should be?

How are the rules in USA today and how do you think they should be?

First If payment of salary no bearing on whether you are salaried?

Second If the employee goes on employer-paid pension or pension in connection with a termination, he or she is then entitled to severance pay?

3rd If a company changes ownership, how it affects the staff officers of the company in proportion to their seniority?

4th Can you terminate an employee, if this is sick at home with the flu?

5th What impact can it have if you as a salaried employee absent from work?

6th A pregnant employee must inform the employer about when this expecting to give birth. What is the deadline?

7th If an officer through his work on a course far away from home, this so entitled to an advance to cover expenses?

8th You sit in Bali and nyeder cool drinks and good food. Head call and demand that you take the first flight home because you are needed in the company. Do employer it?

9th You get paid leave. At the same time raises you also holiday pay from your former employer. Is it legal?

10th What is the main holiday, and when should it be held?

11th Have a student the right to paid holiday from employer when the student is on holiday?

Hi Kris,

I'll work with you to try to answer your questions.

The first one "First If payment of salary no bearing on whether you are salaried?" Would you please clarify it for me?

The 2nd question requires a little preliminary explanation:

In the US, there are laws that protect the rights of the workers. There are also labor unions, and different states may have different labor laws. For example, there are states where in order to be able to work, the worker is required to be member of a labor union. There are other states called "right-to-work states" in which workers aren't forced to belong in a union in order to be hired. They're free to join a union or not, but it's not forced upon them.
Besides that, the kind of contract an individual worker has with the company she/he works for, can also vary the conditions of work. So this far we have 3 layers of complexity in the relations between worker and employer:

1) government labor laws
2) state is "right-to-work" or requires worker to join and pay a labor union
3) direct contract terms between employer and employee

in the case of termination, getting some benefits afterwards depends on what the labor contract says, the labor law doesn't dictate that the employer has to provide benefits to an ex-employee, but some companies and government jobs do. It also depends if the employee isn't being fired for doing something wrong, which would most likely void any benefits after termination.

3rd) When a company changes ownership, the new administration can do whatever they want with the employees, although many sale/purchase contracts have clauses to try to protect the workers. In a practical sense, the new owners would try to keep the employees b/c their experience and know-how are a natural means of maintaining the continuity of the business operation. Having more or less seniority may be a double-edged sword. Seniority and experience may be an ace to keep the job, but if the salary's too high it might work against the employee if the new administration wants to cut costs and can find someone who can do the same job for less.

So Kris, take a look at these answers (1,2 & 3), and let me know if they address what you wanted to know. Send me a reply anyways and we'll continue with the rest of the answers.

Liberals: Left of Center

Joe Park

I can answer questions about US politics & the World in general

I've lived in several countries outside the US, and being involved in election support work

Philosophy Major. Emphasis in Marx-Engels-Lenin studies Political Science BA