Librarians/question about the books

Question
1. After the library decides that a book (reference and/or non-reference) is too old to be in circulation, what happens to the book? (Is the book still in the library?)(Is there a different classification system used for these books?)

2. As a researcher, do you know how I could gain access to non-published books and manuscripts?

3. When doing a search of library materials, is there a way to specifically find reference materials on a given subject if the catalog does not give you the option? (reference materials: encyclopedias, specialized encyclopedias, dictionaries, lexicons, chronologies, bibliographies, and annals.

Answer
1. Very often, the book is weeded out of the collection and typically sold at a book sale to benefit the library.

2. If you access the collection of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., you may have the most success in gaining access to a non-published book or manuscript.

3. If you visit an academic library, you can learn how to use the databases that allow you to search books and manuscripts from throughout the world.

Librarians

Robert H. Kieserman, MBA, MLIS