Life Coaching/Question

Question
I am trying to decide if I should seek out a life coach at this time of my life.  I am currently seeing a therapist regarding sexual abuse issues and also am doing other self improvement things including doing yoga, eating healthier, attempting to lose weight, and going back to school for my masters degree.  At times doing all of that is overwhelming with working full time.  Do you think I should look into seeing a life coach?  And if so, how do I find a life coach?  I live in central Maine and I don't believe this is something that is really popular around here.

Answer
Dear Tracy,

It sounds like you are doing a great job with making healthy changes to your life. A life coach that focuses on work/life balance and health/fitness may be helpful to you; however, I would recommend staying with a clinical therapist to work on the abuse issues. Therapists and psychologists are trained to help with trauma, issues from the past and emotional illnesses. Life coaches deal with the here and now-they work with clients to attain goals in areas like career, personal development, finances, relationships, and health. You can certainly see a life coach while you are in therapy since the two professions focus on different areas and use some different techniques. Coaches are more likely to work with you in creating an action plan or wellness plan which outlines your goals and action steps. This is particularly helpful with things like weight loss which requires effort and time to accomplish. A life coach tends to be more motivational and allows you to be in charge of your own process. Yet, coaches are also more likely to check in with you to see that you are actually doing what you said you would do. This can be very helpful for many clients because the accountability pushes them to take action.
My question for you is whether you would like to see a life coach in person or if you would consider working with one over the phone? Many life coaches offer telephone or Skype sessions. This may seem impersonal to some but can be surprisingly effective and works well for busy clients! I have done both phone coaching sessions and in-person. I would be happy to do a free consultation by phone with you if you decide that this may work for you (I live in Connecticut). You can email me at mmerbaum@gmail.com if interested or if you would like more info.
If you decide that you want an in-person coach in your area, then Noomi is a very good online coach directory to use. I believe that they do have coaches in Maine so you can check that out.
Good luck to you and I hope this was helpful.

Life Coaching

Marisa Merbaum