Life & Health Insurance/Mom's plan

Question
Thanks for taking my question Willard.
Mom just told me today she recently had a life insurance policy terminate. Her agent told her she had a policy that paid for itself with the cash value of the policy. He claims she has used all her cash paying the premium and the policy has in effect become broke. Willard she has had the policy for 25 years.
Is something fishy???
Thanks for your time.
Ken

Answer
Dear Ken,

A lot depends on the type of policy it was and how much she had paid into it, as well as how long it has been since she stopped paying premiums. A lot of Universal Life policies sold in the early 1980s were projecting premium requirements assuming interest rates in the 9-11% range. If no adjustment has been made for the lower interest rates typical of the last ten years, the policy could certainly have lapsed. I would be happy to learn more about the policy she had.

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF
CA License 0374776
(888) 792-2379
willardbrumbaugh@yahoo.com
www.willardbrumbaugh.com

Life & Health Insurance

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF, CSFP