Life & Health Insurance/OHIP

Question
Hi Chad.  I live and work in the US but am a Canadian citizen.  My mother is Canadian, 88 and in fragile health.  She was living too far away for me to visit or be available in case of an emergency.  We applied for housing in Southern Ontario, only 5 hours from me, but since it took so long to get anything she moved in with me temporarily.  I can't use the CCAC to help find a doctor for her until she has an address, and I don't know how long that will be.  She has no health care here, but I have made an appointment with my doctor to do a history in case we need to see someone.  Two questions:  Can I find her a doctor on my own without an address, and can we apply to OHIP for any assistance if she needs medical care before we get her a doctor in Canada?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Answer
Hi Jacqui,
Sorry for the delay in answering but I was out of the country on vacation.  She will need an Ontario address to get a Doctor in Ontario but if she has a Health Card you could just use the one on it until you find a Doctor and then clarify the situation with the Doctor at that time.

OHIP will provide assistance with any treatment performed in Ontario.  As far as I know OHIP will not pay for any treatment provided in the United States.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Chad

Life & Health Insurance

Chad Donnelly