Life & Health Insurance/LIFE INSURANCE

Question
MY FATHER RECENTLY PASSED AND I TOOK CARE OF ALL THE ARRANGEMENTS BECAUSE MY MOTHER IS IN A NURSING HOME AND I AM HER POA.  THEREFORE WHEN I MADE THE ARRANGEMENTS I ASSIGNED ALL MONIES OVER TO THE FUNERAL HOME AT WHICH TIME WAS STATED THAT THE "REMAINING PROCEEDS" WOULD COME TO MY MOTHER. APPROX. A WEEK AND A HALF LATER I RECEIVED A CHECK THAT STATED REMAINING PROCEEDS.  I CALLED THE LOCAL AGENT THAT STATED THE FUNERAL HOME AND EVERYONE INVOLVED HAD DIRECT ASSIGNMENT AND WOULD GET PAID AND ANYTHING ADDITIONAL IS MY MOTHERS.  I DEPOSITED THE CHECK INTO OUR JOINT ACCOUNT AND IT TOOK ABOUT 7 DAYS TO CLEAR.  AT THAT POINT I DIDNT HEAR FROM ANYONE AND THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS OVER.  I WENT TO THE BANK AND SPENT THE MONEY ON THINGS FOR MY MOTHER SUCH AS MORTGAGE, SQUARING UP ALL BILLS MY FATHER LEFT ETC....OUT OF THE BLUE I RECEIVE A CALL FROM THE HOME OFFICE OF THE INSURANCE COMPANY REQUESTING THE MONEY.  AT FIRST I PANICKED AND TOLD HER I WOULD CALL HER BACK AND I DIDNT KNOW WHAT SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT.  I REALIZED THERE WAS NO WAY FOR ME TO RETRIEVE ANY MONIES FROM THE CREDITORS I PAID AND SPOKE W/ THE INSURANCE COMPANY AGAIN AND ADVISED WHAT HAPPENED.  I CLEARLY STATED I HAD CONTACTED THE LOCAL AGENTS OFFICE WHO TOLD ME THE NAME OF FUNERAL HOME AND THAT ANYTHING ADDITIONAL WAS ASSIGNED TO FUNERAL HOME AND REMAINING PROCEEDS WOULD COME TO MY MOTHER. SHE STATED THEY WILL PAY FUNERAL HOME AND THAT IT WAS THEIR ERROR, AND NOW IS TRYING TO HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE.  I DID EVERYTHING I WAS INSTRUCTED, HOW AM I TO BLAME OR BE RESPONSIBLE TO RETURN THE MONIES.

Answer
Dear Dee:

First my condolences on the passing of your Father.

This is not an insurance questions, but a legal question.  That said the company has admitted they made an error.  They should be the ones responsible.  Try to negotiate a settlement with them.  If you can't you may have to seek an attorney or your local television station that helps people.

Good luck  

Life & Health Insurance

Ronald Blau