Life & Health Insurance/life insurance and medicade

Question
Hello,

I have a mother who is 80 years old and there is a good possibility that she will need some assistance in the near future.  I'm not sure if she will need to go into a nursing home or if we will have someone take care of her at home.

My question is this:  My mother has a life insurance policy with a cash value of approximately $60,000.  Will this policy effect her qualifying for medicade assistance with her long-term care needs?

Thanks.

Answer
Dear Mike,

If she is the owner of the policy, it will impact her eligibility for MedicAid. However, if the policy is owned by a beneficiary, she not being in control of the policy, it would be out of reach of MedicAid rules. In order for this to be true, the ownership of the policy by a beneficiary must have been established more than three to five years (depending on state of occupancy) before the application of MedicAid assistance.

Willard R Brumbaugh, LUTCF
CA License 0374776
www.willardbrumbaugh.com
(888) 792-2379

Life & Health Insurance

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF, CSFP