You are here:

Life & Health Insurance/Disease management programs


Hi Mike:

  I'm a 53 year old man with type 2 diabetes and on pump therapy, I have a part time job that does not offer insurance, the insurance I have is through my wife's employer, the problem is that we are getting a divorce and I need a private insurance provider. As of this time I am covered by United Health care (through her) and am part of a disease management program which covers a lot of my diabetic needs at little or no cost. Is there any private insurers out there that provide this type of program that would be affordable to someone in a part time position, I make less than $15,000 per year

      Thanks for your attention, William


I doubt very much that there is an insurer that would issue an individual policy at this point in your treatment. Hands down your best option is to purchase the COBRA coverage you are entitled to through your wife's employer, for up to three years, due to the divorce. Better yet, I would think that you qualify for Medicaid based on your income, costing you nothing.
Starting 1/1/14 you will be able to get financial assistance through the federal government to pay the majority, if not all, of your premium based on income. It is likely you will be enrolled in Medicaid at that time, but certainly look into enrolling in Medicaid now if you can. It will depend on your state's income requirements.

Let me know if I can be of further help,

Mike Higgins

Life & Health Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael Higgins


All questions pertaining to health insurance, whether group, individual/family, student, child-only, COBRA, HIPAA, Portability, dental. No expert knowledge in areas such as life insurance, disability, workman's compensation, auto, etc.


34 years as owner of health insurance agency, primarily dealing with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona.

College, Business Administration.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]