Life & Health Insurance/Alternative to traditional heath inusrance

Question
Hi Gene,
First of all, thank you for offering your insight. I, along with who knows how many others, am distressed at the current situation with health insurance.  My wife and I are just over the income threshold so there is no subsidy for us under the ACA.  The plans available to us now carry much higher deductibles for more than we are now paying for a plan that will no longer be available soon. I know many in our situation are contemplating forgoing coverage and paying the "tax", (actually the fine)that will result. We are reluctant to do this although at 60 years of age, we are both in good health. I am thinking there must be some sort of alternative to traditional insurance that would offer at least some measure of protection. We could afford to self insure up to around $30k, but many unforeseen medical events could go way beyond that.  If we had the good fortune of making it to 65, we could save around $75k to 100k over the next five years by not paying the premiums. The risk/reward is intriguing.  Can you think of anything we could consider that would require us to self insure to some level, but would still offer protection in the event of a serious medical event?   Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.  John

Answer
John,

I appreciate your outreach and completely agree that you are in the boat of distress with many others.

I will stick with as much of the positive as I can.

Option 1 - Go to the exchange. At the wise age of 60, your options may be priced out of the way because of the age factor but a bronze level or catastrophic option may be a direction to go if Wisconsin offers it.

Option 2 - Go independently. There are carriers that may not be offered in your exchange that will be priced based on you and give you multiple out of pocket options along with HSA and other possibilities. I know come carriers are doing quite a bit of this from now to the end of the year and that way you can lock in a rate and plan through 2015. At that point you may need to change plans again but it gets you over the hump. Your state will determine where to look.

Option 3 - No coverage and roll the dice. This is the gambler's option. You have some set aside but life shows us its hand at the craziest of times. Financially it's an option, but not necessarily the smartest of options...especially as we age. It's never an "advisable" option but you mentioned it and I wanted to be sure to mention it.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, let me know.

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay