Life & Health Insurance/group life insurance

Question
My mother died one year ago. The company she worked for cannot find her insurance application with any beneficiaries she may have listed.  She did have a will but from what I've read, the will does not necessarily determine who gets the insurance payout.  The insurance company has said it goes to spouse and if no spouse, children.
Does the will determine who gets the money or the insurance company's policies and procedures?

Answer
Firstly, my sympathies for your loss.  Though this not my area of expertise I have had a similar experience when my mother passed.  The will should have assigned an executor of her estate and that person should have standing to lay claim with the insurance carrier for the death benefit.  It would then become part of your mom's estate and that executor can distribute the assets per your mother's wishes.  I suggest you touch base with a probate attorney to determine your next course of action. Best of luck I know this can be a frustrating process so be patient.

Life & Health Insurance

Sergio Franco