Life & Health Insurance/Life insurance beneficiary

Hello Gene,
I want to change the actual amount of money that is to be distributed to certain family members, in my life insurance policy.

Do I do that through a last will and testament ? Or through the insurance company directly ?

The beneficiary's will stay the same. I just need to change the amount of money that goes to each beneficiary.

Thanks for your time in answering !!

Great question and thank you for taking the time to ask.

Since it sounds like you have a will and I am not sure how it is worded, I am going to say you need to adjust both. The will usually is the final say but I am one for caution more than ease in areas like this.

What I would advise is that you contact your life insurance carrier and get them to send you a change of beneficiary form. Now, you said the people were not changing and that's fine but the original contract has the percentages and so you need to reallocate by going through it that way.

Then I would contact the one who handles your will and make that necessary adjustment. Many times in a will you can stipulate it as this: "All life insurance proceeds are to be distributed per the beneficiary designations assigned within the policy." That way, if you ever have a change again your will stays the same.

I hope that makes sense.

Good luck and know I'm here for you. Thanks for stepping into my office.

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay

I can answer questions from people regarding health, life, and voluntary insurance. I can also answer certain annuity questions, long-term care, medicare, vision, dental, group products, individual products, and certain carriers. Another area would be general discussion on an individual basis to determine need and help individuals make the right decisions for them. I can also field questions from other insurance providers about carriers I represent so we can do some business together and I am also willing to offer my thoughts on certain issues they may be having with clients/customers, etc.

My experience comes from helping many people every day handle tough situations in the health, life, and voluntary insurance markets. I do not claim to know it all, but I will always be direct and professional.

National Association of Health Underwriters, Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters

Self Funding Magazine,, Birmingham Business Journal, North Jefferson News

My educational credentials are holding a health and life insurance license in multiple states.

Colonial Life Rookie Sales Award of the Year (2006), Treasurer - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2010), NAHU Region 5 & 6 Leadership Conference Participant (2011), "Benefits Selling" Magazine Reader Council Advisory Board (2011), President Elect - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2011), President (2012-2014), VP of Technology - Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, (2011-Present), NAHU LPRT Soaring Eagle Award Recipient (2013)

I would prefer not to divulge clients without their consent to do so.