Life & Health Insurance/knee injury / pre-existing condition?

Question
Good morning,

I am currently insured by Aetna through my employer in Philadelphia, PA.  I will be getting married in May (2013) and then plan to leave this company in June (2013).  Upon leaving the company, I will be included on my *future* husband's insurance policy - United Health Care.  He is insured through his employer - he lives and works in Pennsylvania, though his company is based in New York.

I have a knee injury that is currently being treated with physical therapy.  The physical therapy treatment is slow going and if it ultimately proves to be ineffective, the injury may have to be treated with surgery.  Since this type of surgery can possibly require months of rehabilitation and additional physical therapy, I am curious as to whether a new insurance policy (in this case United Health Care) would view this as a 'pre-existing condition' and deny coverage for anything regarding this knee injury.

If this, indeed, is the case, what options do I have?  I'm feeling particularly pressured to figure this out since June is only four months away!!

Thank you,
Adrienne

Answer
Adrienne,

This is a great question with a good bit of "ifs" and "buts" to it and the actual answer, but I'll do my best to help guide.

First thing you need to do is see how United will view your knee. You can actually reach out to them through his employer and ask how the plan would handle your scenario. Many times a health provider will not make a big deal about pre-existing issues if you have had previous coverage with another provider recently (which you have). Secondly, United has been very good recently with relaxing their "pre-ex" clause based on the health reform model. It's risky for them, but their goal is to stay a solid option through it all.

Each plan in a business can be different so your best outreach is to the employer and their HR department OR United directly. Their sales team is pretty nice and really good.

To ultimately answer your question, you have the option to stay on Aetna under COBRA or go to United (which I feel will be an option).

I hope this guides you some on your journey for answers.

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay