Life & Health Insurance/Father Deceased over 10 years ago...

Question
Hello,

My question is regarding life insurance claims.
My father died when I was just 26 (I'm 36 now).  He had a will from a long time ago (1988) and it didn't really specify who his assets would go to.

In the end, the state divided his assets 1/2 to his wife and the remaining 1/2 divided between his 3 remaining children.

However, I see that there are still 'unclaimed property' under his name (Unclaimed Property Div.; US Dept. of Treasury).

If his assets did not initially include life insurance when it was first divivded out, how can I find that out?  I barely knew my father - he left my family when I was just around 7 years old.  Afterwards, I heard nothing about him, other than brief updates from my sister who was writing to him, until being contacted by a lawyer about his death.

Please let me know what options I have to determine if there was life insurance and if so, if I can claim anything.

Thank you.

Answer
Gustave,

Thank you for the question. It seems there may be some unanswered pieces to all this and the real answers will lie with whoever the executor of the estate was. They are ultimately responsible for fulfilling all pieces of the estate and helping distribute and figure it all out.

If that person is unavailable, then an attorney with some direction could help. You'll need as much information about your dad as you can get and get it figured through that.

I hope this provides some guidance.  

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay