Life & Health Insurance/Lost/Stolen Insurance Policy

Mr. Brumbaugh,
When I was a child my parents purchased an insurance policy in my name (by one of those agents who come around to collect the premiums). During the late 1980's/early 90's, my mom allowed one of her church elders (who had recently become an insurance agent) view all of their policies. Coincidentally, mine never made it back to her. She inquired about its whereabouts (without success); as a result, I still wonder if it's "out there somewhere." I happened upon your site and it spoke of finding lost insurance policies. Is there hope for me? I need closure. Thank you for your time.

Dear Marg,

If you can get the name of the company, it should be possible to determine the status of the policy. However, if your Mom stopped paying the premiums, there is a likelihood that it will have expired, or the benefit could have been reduced.

The policy is a document that confirms that a commitment was made by the insurance company. If the policy has been lost, that does not change the relationship that the company has established with the policy owner. Thus, the error of the agent does not negate the insurance so long as the premium commitment has been maintained.

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF
(888) 792-2379

Life & Health Insurance

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF, CSFP

I can handle questions concerning life insurance, it`s tax implications, how to determine what is appropriate, and how it fits in one`s estate and retirement planning.

For 2 1/2 years I was an expert on, where for most of that time I was ranked #1. I have been a moderator (instructor) for the Life Underwriters Training Council. I have been licensed since 1969. Organizations I belong to: National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors - California and the Inland Empire Estate Planning Council. I hold the professional designation of Life Underwriters Training Council Fellow.