Life & Health Insurance/ACA (Obamacare) question...

Question
Mr. Blau,
My sister lost her job in November of 2012, and is still out of work.  She kept her health insurance via COBRA, but it is rather expensive since she's paying for it out of savings every month.
Since she has had no income, would she be eligible for government assistance (under the ACA) to help pay for her health insurance through COBRA?

Answer
Dear David:

Sorry to hear your sister lost her job.

First the ACA does not take effect till 1/1/2014 as of now. It that time she may get assistance for her health care costs.

If your sister is healthy she can apply to any insurance company for coverage and get off COBRA and save money.  If she has pre-existing conditions she should stay on COBRA.  The cost she is paying is the full cost that the company is paying for her coverage plus 2% to cover billing costs.  Her former company is not making any money on her.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Life & Health Insurance

Ronald Blau