Life & Health Insurance/ACA (Obamacare) question...

Mr. Ramsay,
My sister lost her job in November of 2012, and is still out of work.  She kept her health insurance via COBRA, but it is rather expensive since she's paying for it out of savings every month.
Since she has had no income, would she be eligible for government assistance (under the ACA) to help pay for her health insurance through COBRA?

So glad you reached out to me. I'll do the best I can.

First, I am not sure what state you live in or how ACA is being handled, so I need to qualify that up front. I live in a state where the federal government is 100% in charge of the health care reform process. My answer will be based on my best knowledge and the information you are giving me here.

First off, yes, COBRA is ridiculously expensive. This is one area where ACA will help many get through times of unemployment and the like without being denied coverage and hopefully keeping premiums affordable.

ANY ACA assistance will start the enrollment process on October 1, 2013 (if everything is working right). She can go online and complete a short application to apply for coverage. On that site they will ask her questions about her employment, income, etc. This will determine her level of assistance she will get from the ACA. Once she knows how much (if any) the ACA will pay, she will be responsible for giving a checking account number to pay premiums from (as of now they will not be taking credit card or debit payments). It will give her a start date as to when she can use her new coverage and off she goes.

One word of caution as she selects options is to be sure if she has a doctor she wants to stay with that they accept the carrier (insurance company) she selects under that plan. Just because she gets insurance through the ACA and the exchange doesn't guarantee that doctor will accept that carrier.

I hope this helps.

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay

I can answer questions from people regarding health, life, and voluntary insurance. I can also answer certain annuity questions, long-term care, medicare, vision, dental, group products, individual products, and certain carriers. Another area would be general discussion on an individual basis to determine need and help individuals make the right decisions for them. I can also field questions from other insurance providers about carriers I represent so we can do some business together and I am also willing to offer my thoughts on certain issues they may be having with clients/customers, etc.

My experience comes from helping many people every day handle tough situations in the health, life, and voluntary insurance markets. I do not claim to know it all, but I will always be direct and professional.

National Association of Health Underwriters, Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters

Self Funding Magazine,, Birmingham Business Journal, North Jefferson News

My educational credentials are holding a health and life insurance license in multiple states.

Colonial Life Rookie Sales Award of the Year (2006), Treasurer - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2010), NAHU Region 5 & 6 Leadership Conference Participant (2011), "Benefits Selling" Magazine Reader Council Advisory Board (2011), President Elect - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2011), President (2012-2014), VP of Technology - Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, (2011-Present), NAHU LPRT Soaring Eagle Award Recipient (2013)

I would prefer not to divulge clients without their consent to do so.