Life & Health Insurance/Self employed Health Insurance

My husband and I are self employed (no employees) our Golden Rule HDHP Insurance has 'gone through the roof' We have decided to 'drop' him off the policy (because of the cost) as he is 60% VA disabled and gets his medical care from the VA. I am applying for individual Ins through the IHC Group but I do have some pre-existings, not serious but I think they may bump the price up or even have a waiting period.
Would I be better staying with Golden Rule and changing to an individual policy with Golden Rule where they don't ask for medical history (although it is a very high deductible and the premiums are high)(also there is no preventative care paid or put to deductible) and waiting until 2014 before I apply for a different Insurance. We live in Wyoming.  
Thank you

Great question and I'm honored you reached out to me.

The reality is come October 1, 2013 (for now) the health care exchange options through the government will be opened and those will also be options. My biggest concern with UHC is that in California they seem to be getting out of the individual market. The pre-ex doesn't concern me because all carriers have to allow everyone. What that means looks like the premiums will be whatever they want it to be, but they will be across the board based on age and such so pre-ex is not that big a deal...or shouldn't be.

The key in your question sounds like "what do I do now?". Is that right? If that is the basic question, then you hang on to what you have but get on the phone with your Golden Rule rep and talk it out. See when they go "no pre-ex" and get some hard and fast professional advice. If you feel like you are being "sold" because he is part of the carrier covering you, check the website to find a professional and ethical independent agent in your area to discuss options they may know of as opposed to your current situation. Many states are dividing up on certain health issues related to carriers and coverage so that's why I'm having you go to a local agent in your area.

I am here if you get stuck and I can try to help you find an agent if you have trouble in the website.

Until then, I'm always a post away.

Gene Ramsay

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay

I can answer questions from people regarding health, life, and voluntary insurance. I can also answer certain annuity questions, long-term care, medicare, vision, dental, group products, individual products, and certain carriers. Another area would be general discussion on an individual basis to determine need and help individuals make the right decisions for them. I can also field questions from other insurance providers about carriers I represent so we can do some business together and I am also willing to offer my thoughts on certain issues they may be having with clients/customers, etc.

My experience comes from helping many people every day handle tough situations in the health, life, and voluntary insurance markets. I do not claim to know it all, but I will always be direct and professional.

National Association of Health Underwriters, Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters

Self Funding Magazine,, Birmingham Business Journal, North Jefferson News

My educational credentials are holding a health and life insurance license in multiple states.

Colonial Life Rookie Sales Award of the Year (2006), Treasurer - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2010), NAHU Region 5 & 6 Leadership Conference Participant (2011), "Benefits Selling" Magazine Reader Council Advisory Board (2011), President Elect - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2011), President (2012-2014), VP of Technology - Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, (2011-Present), NAHU LPRT Soaring Eagle Award Recipient (2013)

I would prefer not to divulge clients without their consent to do so.