Life & Health Insurance/ACA for self employed without employees

I hope you will be able to shed some light on this for me, I can't seem to get an answer anywhere. My husband and I are self employed with a joint venture trucking company so we file taxes jointly. No employees. My husband is a 60% disabled Vet so gets his medical coverage form the VA. I have an HDHP/HSA individual insurance with Golden Rule, when the new insurance comes into force I would like to 'shop' for a less expensive one but don't know if it is based on our joint net income and also our income is very different from year to year and is difficult to estimate so how do I know if I qualify for any subsidy ?  Thank you, I'm sure you are getting bombarded with questions right now!

Great question and congrats on your individual business. It's just another thing that makes America so great.

Now, as for the health insurance questions. First, it matter not what sort of assistance or existing coverage you already have as the health care law effects EVERYONE. The ultimate goal is that every person in the USA who is eligible has health insurance.

When you fill out the application for coverage on the exchange website, it will be based on the fact that your company does not currently offer health insurance. Your questions will be limited to how much you make and age basically. Once they run your information through "the hub" (Dept of labor and IRS databases, just to name a couple) then they will let you know if your numbers match up. If they don't they will ask for more information. Once they have compiled everything is when you will know if you qualify for a subsidy. Most people should qualify for some level of assistance.

Either way, the choice will be yours and nothing will change for either of you until you sign up and get that first premium check in to the carrier you have selected. That means your current set up is fine.

Yes, questions come pretty frequently now. I have been told to charge a fee, but it's all information that's out there now...I just happen to know enough of it to be dangerous.

I'll be here if you need me.

Lastly, thank you husband for his service. Without people like him, we wouldn't enjoy much of what we have today.

Life & Health Insurance

Gene Ramsay

I can answer questions from people regarding health, life, and voluntary insurance. I can also answer certain annuity questions, long-term care, medicare, vision, dental, group products, individual products, and certain carriers. Another area would be general discussion on an individual basis to determine need and help individuals make the right decisions for them. I can also field questions from other insurance providers about carriers I represent so we can do some business together and I am also willing to offer my thoughts on certain issues they may be having with clients/customers, etc.

My experience comes from helping many people every day handle tough situations in the health, life, and voluntary insurance markets. I do not claim to know it all, but I will always be direct and professional.

National Association of Health Underwriters, Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters

Self Funding Magazine,, Birmingham Business Journal, North Jefferson News

My educational credentials are holding a health and life insurance license in multiple states.

Colonial Life Rookie Sales Award of the Year (2006), Treasurer - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2010), NAHU Region 5 & 6 Leadership Conference Participant (2011), "Benefits Selling" Magazine Reader Council Advisory Board (2011), President Elect - Birmingham Association of Health Underwriters (2011), President (2012-2014), VP of Technology - Alabama Association of Health Underwriters, (2011-Present), NAHU LPRT Soaring Eagle Award Recipient (2013)

I would prefer not to divulge clients without their consent to do so.