Life & Health Insurance/dental insurance for a child

I am a veteran on a full-time college scholarship. I usually pay out of pocket for my own dental visits. However, I also have a daughter that is not documented as my dependent yet and needs braces. I would to pay for them, but wanted to ask about insurance options 1st. I have found several dental plans for individual students, yet none for a student with children. Do you have any advice on possibly obtaining insurance that will include in it aside from care credit etc...

Dental plans range in price, benefit level, and also geographic region. As a general rule, dental insurance is going to have a waiting period for major services including oral surgeries of usually 12 months. Moreover, orthodontics typically have a waiting period of 24 months, sometimes only 12. That would mean you must have the policy active for 2 years, before the plan pays. At that point, the plan typically pays 50% of the cost after a deductible. Dental insurance usually does not cover enough to get your money's worth. You would have to find a plan that covers orthodontics first, then determine if the waiting period would be worth the rest of the policy for 2 years.

Since children can get there own policies with many companies, you should not have much trouble enrolling your child on her own dental plan. You may struggle to find a dental plan that fits your needs though.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for the delay!

Life & Health Insurance

John Claborn

Any question on individual or employee-sponsored health insurance, Term life insurance, or Medicare questions. I cannot answer any question involving investment funded life insurance or any government-sponsored entitlement question that does not involve a private insurance company.

Our agency has over 35 years of combined experience. I, personally have been in the insurance business for 6 years. I have dealt with every type of client out there, young and old.

Texas Association of Health Underwriters Lubbock Association of Health Underwriters - Media/Communications Chair Young Professionals of Greater Lubbock Premier Networkers of Greater Lubbock (President)

Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Texas Tech University. Associates of Arts in Business Administration from Frank Phillips College.