Life & Health Insurance/life insurance

Question
Are there some general guidelines/factors to consider when deciding whether to repay a loan against a whole life insurance policy using dividends, cash, or not repay the loan at all?

Answer
Dear Vicki,

Repaying the loan always enhances the financial position of the policy owner, since the restored accumulation value is available for new use. This also generates more interest in an environment that is tax-advantaged.

Also, restoring 'cash value' reduces the likelihood paying income taxes at the point of a policy lapse.

Using the dividends is one way to accomplish these goals. However, there is no better place to store money for future use. Adding additional cash compounds the advantages of the participating whole life policies.

Finally, by re-funding the policy by whichever means you choose assures your heirs of the untaxed benefit at your passing.

More comments on this issue are found in Chapter 8 of my report 'Life Insurance and Retirement - the Unvarnished Truth', and in the new book by Pamela Yellen, 'The Bank on Yourself Revolution'. You can acquire the report by e-mailing me at willardbrumbaugh@yahoo.com.

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF
CA License 0374776
(888) 792-2379

Life & Health Insurance

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF, CSFP