Life & Health Insurance/Insurance Under ACA

Question
My employer has always self-insured the employees. Since I retired, this arrangement has continued. There is no insurance
policy, but there are some co-pays and deductibles. My question is, are people in my category considered insured when insurance coverage must be in place this year, 2015?

Answer
Hello, Fran:

Self-insured plans, for the most part, are immune to the benefit requirements and taxes of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, (Obamacare.) Because you have an employer sponsored plan, even though it is a self-insured plan, in the eyes of the IRS it is considered creditable coverage, and you will not be taxed/penalized.

Life & Health Insurance

Michael Higgins