Life & Health Insurance/Life insurance

Question
Hello my job automatically enrolled me for life insurance when I started working there. I would like to have my son as the beneficiary but he is only 10 years old so would that be a good idea and how would that work? Also his biological father isn't in the picture and I want to make sure if I put my son as the beneficiary that his father won't be able to touch it if something happens to me. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Heather,

I do not know the age your son could receive life insurance proceeds in your state. In California the minimum age is 18. I suggest you contact a lawyer about setting up a trust with a trustee to administer the benefits of the trust for your son. The trust could be the beneficiary of the life insurance in the event of your death.

This will keep the hands of his sire off the proceeds.

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF
CA License 0374776
(888) 792-2379  

Life & Health Insurance

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF, CSFP