Life Support Issues/End Stage COPD

barbara j minervino wrote at 2010-12-17 00:38:04
I know what you are going through, I am caring for my husband of forty two years, My heart jerks every time he starts to go into a real bad breathing period. The doctors sent us home, With hospise coming to see us twice a week. His breathing is getting lower and lower every day, And I still strick out at the fact that he is dying! I cry every day, Without letting the rest of my family seeing me so weak.

Laura wrote at 2010-12-31 05:55:40
This is exactly how it was with my mother, She died Dec 20th 2010. I have cried everyday since. Reading this answer let me know what was done for her and what myself and my sisters have done was the right thing. I always felt that there was more that could be done. At the end of her life it was exactly as was described.

cam wrote at 2015-08-10 02:23:17
my mother has end stage copd she has been in and out of hospitals and nursing home rehabs. She has just moved to an assisted living apartment which is part of the nursing home and has 24/7 continuous care with hospice. My mom does not want to go to the hospital again and is tired of rehab. I did not want hospice to stop her meds such as heart and blood pressure, they assured me it was the right thing to do.they are giving her anxiety and morphine liquid meds only, she does seem more relaxed and comfortable and breathing  better. I know the end will come sooner without her regular medicine, but, nothing can make her better so why should she suffer. It-is a painful death, the morphine will make it easy. She is 87, nurses told me she will decline rapidly i feel like I am killing her the reality is she is dying anyway this just make it faster.. Good luck with your Mom. Its a tough one.

Life Support Issues

Betsy Murphy