Life Support Issues/Removal of Life Support

My 21 year old son suffered a catstrophic brain injury (medically stated as irreversible brain damage) and the decision to remove life support was made, however, after it's removal and moments before my son died it appeared that there were tears streaming down his face.  Could he have been aware of what was happening to him?

Hello Jan,

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your son.  I also apologize for my delayed response - computer issues ..

I can tell you with confidence that any reaction you may have observed was the body itself reacting and was not a conscious response - your son would have no awareness of what was going on and would not feel a thing.

Many people believe that our spirit leaves the physical body prior to the actual passing so, I believe this as well based on my 30 years of experience. So I believe your son's spirirt would have been in the room with you, but not in the body itself.

Wishing you peace and healing,

Life Support Issues

Margot RN BScN CGN

I nursed my own Mother and Grandmother at home when they were dying so I have personal experience with the emotions involved. I have also spent the last 20 years as a Registered Nurse caring for The Elderly and Terminally Ill and it has brought me great satisfaction. I am willing to answer any questions I can.

27 years Geriatric Nursing and working with palliative care clients and their families both in facilities and the community.

Registered Nurse, Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Certified Gerontological Nurse

Hundreds of Long Term Care Residents as well as hundreds of Clients and families in the community (including my Mother and Grandmother).