Life Support Issues/Removal of Life Support

Question
My 21 year old son suffered a catstrophic brain injury (medically stated as irreversible brain damage) and the decision to remove life support was made, however, after it's removal and moments before my son died it appeared that there were tears streaming down his face.  Could he have been aware of what was happening to him?

Answer
Hello Jan,

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your son.  I also apologize for my delayed response - computer issues ..

I can tell you with confidence that any reaction you may have observed was the body itself reacting and was not a conscious response - your son would have no awareness of what was going on and would not feel a thing.

Many people believe that our spirit leaves the physical body prior to the actual passing so, I believe this as well based on my 30 years of experience. So I believe your son's spirirt would have been in the room with you, but not in the body itself.

Wishing you peace and healing,
Margot

Life Support Issues

Margot RN BScN CGN