Life Support Issues/Life Support

Question
Hi Betsy, I am wondering how long a patient can be left on life support? I am concerned that if left on too long the lungs will become dependent on the respirator and not ever be able to function on their own again. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jane

Answer
Hello Jane,

Life support takes over the work of breathing to allow time for the patient to recover from their acute condition.  It is intended to be short term with an eye on weaning the patient from life support as soon as possible.

The success of life support seems to depend on the patient's ability to recover. Some patients with end stage lung disease seem to go on life support a number of times before their lungs fail, causing their heart and kidneys to fail also. So patients can die while on life support. Some patients are dying when they go on life support.  They may have terminal cancer, a stroke, pneumonia etc. which is not easily reversible. Some family member recognize in time that the patient's dying is prolonged, rather than their living. They decide to withdraw the artificial ventilation and allow their loved on to die naturally.

I am trying now to answer your question of how long a patient can be left on life support. A young and vigorous person may do better on life support for a longer time than an elderly person. In my experience, the more unsuccessful attempts to wean the person from life support, the less likely they will survive. It may  not be so much that the lungs become dependent on life support.  Instead, the patient has other organs that are failing (heart, kidney), and the failure of these organs is causing them to grown weaker and more debilitated.

In some very ill patients, life support is started with a possible termination date in the future. Life support is withdrawn when it becomes apparent that the patients is continuing to decline and there is little benefit from life support.

Since I don't really know the specifics of your loved ones situation, I am providing you with some broad concepts here. Remember that my area of expertise is hospice care, so the life support patients I have been involved with were universally terminally ill. If your loved one has a life limiting illness, it would be helpful to seek consultation with a Palliative Care physician at the hospital. This physician could provide you with an estimate of your loved ones' ability to survive. Please write again if you need additional information or I have not adequately answered your question.  

Life Support Issues

Betsy Murphy