Lighting Design/living room lighting

I have different tables on the side of the couch.  Aside from being around the same height, is there a "rule" for having different table lamps at either end of a couch?  Also, can one side of the couch have a table lamp and the other side a floor lamp?  

It's all about style. If there is something about each item that would be complementing each other then i think it will work well. If one is orange and the other is purple, you might want to get a new couch, or get help.
Only kidding.
There really isn't any rules for this type of thing. Whatever you need to make YOU happy is fine. If you were in charge of doing set-up work to sell a house you might need to hire a smarter assistant to work on living room areas.
Tony C.  

Lighting Design

Tony Carango

i can answer all kinds of lighting questions but for stage lighting

i have 40 years in the business of architectural lighting design and am a Certified Lighting Designer

International Assoc of Lighting Designers, Illuminating Eng Society of North America

i have been an instructor of interior lighting at Arcadia University for about 16 years, I also gave a course for Drexel University, as weel as being a guest speaker at Various seminares for energy efficiency.