Lighting Design/living room lighting

Question
I have different tables on the side of the couch.  Aside from being around the same height, is there a "rule" for having different table lamps at either end of a couch?  Also, can one side of the couch have a table lamp and the other side a floor lamp?  

thanks.

Answer
It's all about style. If there is something about each item that would be complementing each other then i think it will work well. If one is orange and the other is purple, you might want to get a new couch, or get help.
Only kidding.
There really isn't any rules for this type of thing. Whatever you need to make YOU happy is fine. If you were in charge of doing set-up work to sell a house you might need to hire a smarter assistant to work on living room areas.
Tony C.  

Lighting Design

Tony Carango