Lighting Design/Width & Height of End Table Lamps

Question
My end tables are 23" height, 24.5 depth and length l5".  My problem is in the l5" length.  The lamps are approx. 30".  The lamp shades I have bought have been 15" and l7".  The l5" base just about meets the end of the table.  If I go by the rule of thumb of the table and lamp being approx. 58" in height, then it would be just about correct.  However, the shade may be too large.  If I buy another lamp that is less than 30", which would be a medium size lamp, then the shade would probably be l4" which would then be suitable for that size table.  However, then the total height may not be the right size for the height of the sofa which is approx., 34" in height and approx. 24" to the arms.  

Should I go for the smaller size lamp base or settle for the larger one with shades that just about meet the ends of the tables?  

Thank you.

Answer
I'm not crazy over thumbs when it comes to your personal taste.
Try this, i would like you to sit on the couch and look to see if you could see the light bulb when sitting in a casual manner.
If you can, either the shade is too short or the lamp is too tall.
Some people use table lamps for more of  decoration than a scaled item in the room. That being said i do believe in the scale of the room. for instance if your room is very tall like 10 to 12 feet high, then a larger lamp and shade would work. But you still shouldn't see the bulbs.
NOW DON'T BEND OVER AND LOOK UP INTO THE SHADE THAT's CHEATING.
This lighting stuff could be so confusing sometimes when we get personal taste involved.
Tony C.

Lighting Design

Tony Carango