Lighting Design/Chandelier Design.

Question
Chandelier
Chandelier  
QUESTION: Dear Tony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandelier

A chandelier is a decorative ceiling-mounted light fixture. Chandeliers are often ornate, and normally use lamps. Crystal chandeliers have more or less complex arrays of crystal prisms to illuminate a room with refracted light.

Can the Chandelier product can be modified to work as a ceiling fan i.e. rotating/revolving (rpm) with a regulator ?.

A electric motor has to be fixed with the Chandelier product to make it work ?.

On a safety side, do you feel the Weight of the Glass would be taken as a precautionary measure so that the chandelier rotating speed should not exceed the desired limit ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: everything is possible . How much money do you want to spend?
I guess there would be a lot of trial and errors, but the technology is there.
The fixture would need to be modified so that the wiring from the Light bulbs are attached in some way to brushes that would keep contact with a rotating motor. The contacts at that point should be very close so we don't make the lamps strobe, so the brushes would need to be on a 60cycle span?
Controlling the motor to rotate at certain speeds would be easy.
I don't profess to know all of the equipment for stage lighting because it is a different subject from what ii do. But the stage lighting people have all this equipment available to them. Sort of like the rotating disco lights that a DJ would use.
Now how to stop the crystal's from becoming flying daggers! Each Crystal would need to be soldered securely to each arm.
I would not do this in my house for effect I am afraid of the motor connection to the chandelier.
Good luck
Tony C.

Fan Regulator
Fan Regulator  
QUESTION: Dear Tony

Thank you.

http://www.engineersgarage.com/insight/how-fan-regulator-works
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute‎

Similar to Fan regulators, we can design and construct special Chandelier Regulators which will control the speed of the electric Motor within the Chandelier product.

For example :

Settings
--------

1: 4 Revolutions per minute
2: 8 Revolutions per minute
3: 12 Revolutions per minute
4: 16 Revolutions per minute
5: 20 Revolutions per minute

The Chandelier will rotate at the lowest speed of 4 RPM when set at 1 and at the Highest speed of 20 RPM when set at 5.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes but what I was trying to say that the regulators are out there doing the same thing now but with stage lighting and disco colored rotating lights. They all work like your saying but with Things that would be usable to the public. Are you just trying to come up with a new product or just as an engineering student experimenting.
Because i'll tell you that if a chandelier rotates most people would not notice it, because there are no different sides, it'll be like the spinning disco ball.
Interesting thought keep on thinking out of the box the world needs you.
Different strokes make things better.
Tony C

Lighting Design

Tony Carango