Linguistics/Phonetics/ Phonology/"flipping" pronunciation


Hello Christopher.

I'm sure you know of the famous phenomenon whereby words (like "nu-cle-ar") get mispronounced as nuk'-u-lar.

My question is, does this process, of what I informally call "flipping" of (usually intermedial syllables), have a proper name?


I am not entirely sure that I understand your question:  Firstly, I doubt I would describe this as a "famous phenomenon"; and it is not necessarily being "mispronounced".

To my knowledge, there is one famous person who pronounces the word, nuclear, as "nukler" and that is former US president, George W Bush.  As to why he says it like that, there are any number of reasons: It's affected; he's lazy; it's dialectical.

Pronunciations of a word vary from region to region and state to state, country to country even across a city (Boston, London, etc...).

Without any empirical evidence, that is all that I can tell you.

Linguistics/Phonetics/ Phonology

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Christopher M Salisbury


I can answer almost any question within the areas of applied and theoretical linguistics including: morphology, phonology, sociolinguistics, pragmatics and semantics and if I do not know the answers, I certainly can direct you in the right direction.


I have an MA in theoretical linguistics however, my focus is on discourse analysis, specifically critical discourse analysis or CDA, and especially how CDA works in politics.

MA linguistics

©2017 All rights reserved.