Literature/Could a speech or non-fiction writing be considered literature?

Ashok Kumar Sharma, D.Phil wrote at 2016-01-28 03:28:00
Speeches are a also a Literary form, no doubts about it.

The Speeches are also considered to be a building block of all sorts of classical literature, mostly are classified as oral non fiction literature.Since there are two types of literature : Oral and Written.

We know a great deal about the Writing or Literary Genres. They are determined by narrative techniques i.e. Tone & Content. They are further divided into Fictional or Non-Fictional literature.

The major forms of Fiction are: Drama, Novel, Poetry, Myth, Novella, Short story, Comedy, Non-fiction, Realistic Fiction, Satire, Tragedy, Tragicomedy.

Any of the genre mentioned above can also be either: Fiction (nonfactual descriptions and events) or a work of Nonfiction (a communication describing the events as a fact).

Recently added forms of literature are : Realistic fiction story that is true to life Science fiction story based on impact of actual, imagined, or potential science, usually set in the future or on other planets. Very Short Story fiction of such brevity that it supports no subplots. Suspense/Thriller fiction about harm about to befall a person or group and the attempts made to evade the harm

Tall tale humorous story with blatant exaggerations, swaggering heroes who do the impossible with nonchalance

Western set in the American Old West frontier and typically set in the late eighteenth to late nineteenth century

Nonfiction literature comprises the following formats: Biography/Autobiography - Narrative of a person's life. A true story about a real person. Essay - A short literary composition that reflects the author's outlook or point. Narrative nonfiction / Personal Narrative - Factual information about a significant event presented in a format which tells a story. Memoir - Factual story that focuses on a significant relationship between the writer and a person, place, or object. Reads like a novel. Speech - Public address or discourse.

Laboratory Report - A report of an experiment. Textbook - Authoritative and detailed factual description of a topic. Reference book - Dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, etc.

Self-help book - Information with the intention of instructing readers on solving personal problems.Journalism - reporting on news / current events.

In India classical elements of arts are considered to be of 36 types and oratory skills are considered as special acquired quality, even great reincarnations possessed. Ancient Hindu Mythological Text elaborate about this quality a lot as one of the greatest literary skills.

The Oratory Genres may be classified into several sub forms: Academic, Bureaucratic, Entertainment, Guiding, Managerial, Political and Scientific and so on..

Literature

Garrett