Literature/Figure of Speech Example.

Question
Dear Ted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

What could be the Figure of speech in the following sentence given below ?.

"My Close friend who is in the Business of Supplying Gym Equipment
had never been to Gymnasium himself for exercising"

Could the above sentence can have a figure of speech viz paradox, hyperbole, pun, climax, metaphor etc ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant:

*** The sentence contains an excellent example of IRONY.  Most people would think that a person who sells gym equipment would be a gym USER.  The IRONIC TWIST -- the totally unexpected -- is the reference to his never been to a gymnasium at all.  That's the IRONY.

Ted Nesbitt

Literature

Ted Nesbitt