Literature/The Great Gastby

Do you think The Great Gatsby is still relevant for today's high school and college students? Is the theme and characters of the book also relevant? or they are outdated?

Hi Katteryn,

Yes, it is still relevant. In my school (located in the Bronx, NY), it is taught in the 11th grade. I teach 12th grade and as an exit project my students have to write a 20 page literary research paper. I have at least 12 students using the Fitzgerald novel. Most masterworks of literature are timeless and can be made relevant if the material is made accessible to students with proper background information and reading techniques.

Sam Noel

Samuel Noel

I`m a NY state certified high school English (and music) teacher for a New York City high school. I currently teach Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition. My passion is for literature (English and American), creative writing, and artistic historical periods. I`ve been teaching since 1992 and love it. Do I know it all? No! I`m a professional student. The best way to learn is to teach!

I have taught freshman composition and literature (college-level) as well as Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition, and high school English.