Literature/The Great Gastby

Question
Do you think The Great Gatsby is still relevant for today's high school and college students? Is the theme and characters of the book also relevant? or they are outdated?

Answer
Hi Katteryn,

Yes, it is still relevant. In my school (located in the Bronx, NY), it is taught in the 11th grade. I teach 12th grade and as an exit project my students have to write a 20 page literary research paper. I have at least 12 students using the Fitzgerald novel. Most masterworks of literature are timeless and can be made relevant if the material is made accessible to students with proper background information and reading techniques.

Sam Noel

Literature

Samuel Noel