Literature/ELA 1

Question
Hello Mr. Noel,
I have this quote from a book called The bluest eye, by Tony Morison. Even though you already told me that you have not read this book, I thought you would know this as a literature expert.
"He was engaged in a line of work that was dependent solely on his ability to win the trust of others, and one in which the most intimate relationships were necessary."
What does this quote mean? I have no idea what it means, I just know that it is personification.
Thanks a lot.

Answer
Hi Gabriela,

I'm reading the quote out of context, however, it would seem that the character being described is someone who has to gain the confidence of others in his occupation. I would think of a salesman, a counselor, etc. The literary device I see here is "framing." The narrator is setting up the character for the reader to see in a particular light.

Personification is a literary device used to give human qualities to something that is not human. I don't quite see this quote as an example of it.

I hope this is helpful.

Sam Noel

Literature

Samuel Noel