Literature/Prologue #1 Romeo and Juliet

Question
QUESTION: Hello!  In the last two lines of the first prologue in Romeo and Juliet,what does the chorus ask of the audience in the last two lines and why would they ask them that?
Thanks.

ANSWER: Hello again,

Again, this question should be easy to answer.

As you can see when you click on the Prologue in the link I gave you, the No Fear edition translates these lines:

"The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend."

as:

"If you listen to us patiently, we'll make up
for everything we've left out in this prologue onstage."

It means that if you read or watch the play carefully, everything that is described in the prologue *and* everything that the prologue leaves out, will be explained in the play itself.

- Tue Sorensen

QUESTION: BUT, Why do they say that?

Answer
Why they say it? Well, because it was customary to have a prologue that summed up the action of the play. And since the author can't explain everything in a short prologue, he reassures the audience by telling them that everything will be made clear in the play. It's a way of keeping the audience's attention.

- Tue Sorensen

Literature

Tue Sorensen