Literature/Romeo and Juliet

I have to write a 150 word essay discussing , according to Juliet, how Romeo will affect the night. I'm 14 and in the 9th grade. Sorry my email isn't working I've changed it to my moms email above.
Thank you

Hello Grant,

Well, 150 words is not much, so it shouldn't be too hard. If you have problems with the old language, go to a website that offers a translation into modern words, like the No Fear Shakespeare site ( Let me walk you through some of the things that you should focus on, in your essay (and in your own words):

The key scene is scene 2 in act 2; the balcony scene. When Romeo and Juliet talk, Juliet mentions several things that relates to "how Romeo will affect the night". First, before Romeo reveals that he is there, Juliet is analyzing the effect that falling in love with him has on her. First, in the following quote, she agonizes over the fact that Romeo comes from a rival family, and she proceeds to conclude that it makes no sense that she should hate him just because he has the wrong name, since he is not just his name, but a complete and admirable person in his own right. So if only he discards his name, she will be free to love him.

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Next, she tells him that he might be murdered if her kinsmen find out that he is there. If that happens, he will have caused a tragedy (that's one possible way he might affect the night, if he isn't careful!). A bit later, she becomes wary of the quickness with which their love is happening - it is "too rash, too unadvised, too sudden", and she tells Romeo that they should part now, so that the bud of their love "may prove a beauteous flower" when next they meet. So Romeo has affected the night by having declared his love for Juliet, and she has reciprocated, and so they have parted like newly engaged lovers, promising and expecting to live a happy life together soon.

I hope this was enough help to get you started on your essay. Remember to include a couple of quotes from the text to back up the points you're making; the teacher is sure to love that.

Good luck,
- Tue Sorensen

Tue Sorensen

I am an authority on the complete works of Shakespeare, and can answer any questions relating to his plays, poetry and life. I specialize in interpretation, double-meanings and translation into modern language.

I was a top-rated Allexperts expert on this same subject several years ago.

Former member of the Danish Shakespeare Society, as well as an active participant in the scholarly SHAKSPER mailing list.

Three years of studying English literature at the University of Aarhus, Denmark