Literature/Cannot identify the type of the sonnet

Hello, Garrett!

I am trying to identify the type of this sonnet(for my university course), it is either Shakespearian or Petrarchan sonnet. Here it is:

The sonnet is a diamond flashing round
From every facet true rare coloured lights;
A gem of thought carved in poetic nights
To grace the brow of art by fancy crowned;
A miniature of soul wherein are found
Marvels of beauty and resplendent sights;
A drop of blood with which a lover writes
His heart's sad epitaph in its own bound;
A pearl gained from dark waters when the deep
Rocked in its frenzied passion; the last note
Heard from a heaven-saluting skylark's throat;
A cascade small flung in a canyon steep
With crystal music. At this shrine of song
High priests of poesy have worshipped long.
(by Edward Burrough Brownlow)

I have a form like this: abba abba cddc ee
At first it looks like a Petrarchan sonnet because of the form of the octave abba abba, but at the end of the sonnet it has ee... I can't manage. Please, I need your help.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards from Moscow.

I would definitely say this falls under the category of Petrarchian with that small couplet at the end being different than what Petrarch (but other "Italian sonnet" writers) usually wrote.  But it being an Italian sonnet (in English), absolutely!

The Petrarchian sonnet is much more flexible than the other styles in this regard, and has many options and variations - unlike the Spenserian and Shakespearian which are extremely concrete in their rules.

Here are three other variations in addition to yours (which is correctly an Italian sonnet)...

a b b a a b b a c d e c d e
a b b a a b b a c d c d c d
a b b a a b b a c d c d e e

As an instructor of literature and the humanities, my experience is as broad as the experience I have gained in the classroom. As a published author and journalist, I have first hand industry experience. Between the two, I have the experience, knowledge, and research experience that could certainly answer any questions that may be asked of me.

Quite specifically, as an instructor I am an extremely well qualified candidate as an initial resource as well as a person who knows specifically where to gather the correct information at any given time. As a published journalist and novelist, my experience broadens into the fundimental understanding of the craft and its application and business. I was also previously an AllExperts expert several years ago, and was well received by all who I helped.

Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.

There are a tremendous amount of publications my work has appeared in and I can't list them all because of space constraints. Many newspapers, radio, and PBS programming. Also, many literary journals for both fiction and nonfiction academic work.

A.S. Wentworth Institute Of Technology
B.S. Fitchburg State College
M.A. Fitchburg State College, Thesis "The Modern Twain Epoch"

Magna Cum Laude.