Literature/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT WORSD AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE AMERICAN BOOK "ROSA PARKS FREEDOM RIDER" BY KEITH BRANDTH ANDJOANNE MATTERN

Question
Could you please explain me in details what was in the times of Martin Luther King the association "BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS"? What does it mean "PORTER" in this case?
I have another question, that is what was a" BLACK TRADE UNION" in America?
I found these words and phrases indicated in the context below:

"They were Clifford and Virginia Durr, and Edgar D. Nixon Mr. and Mrs. Durr were white. He was a lawyer,and they were both active members of the civil rights movement.
E.D. Nixon,a black man,was regional director of the BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS,the first BLACK TRADE UNION in America."

Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English and American culture.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Hello!

This is a relatively easy question!

First, a labor union is like the Italian word "sindacato" and is similar to Unione Italiana del Lavoro.  In the case of this Union, all of the members were black and we're all porters - porters are the people who assist train passengers in a variety of ways, but most notably as the people who handle their bags and help them on and off the train. I believe the Italian word for this is facchino - I looked it up, so it may not directly translate.

Ask a clarifying question if this was unclear...

Literature

Garrett