Literature/clarification that word is being used correctly and in context

Hi Garrett,

I appreciate your time. I am wanting to confirm the word Juxtaposition is used correctly in the sentence below??

I live in a world of constant juxtaposition between the LOVE and FUTURE that I long for with you and the HEARTACHE and LOSS I endure without you.

Juxtaposition is usually meant to put two things side by side for the purpose of comparison or contrast.  Your example is a little confusing, and I am not entirely sure that it works. Here is why, using ratios:

In this case, love being compared/contrasted to future doesn't really make sense, nor does future to loss.  Love can be contrasted to heartache, but the comparison of Future to Loss still doesn't.  I do like the fact that you extend it, though.  The question becomes, what is the goal, and what comparisons or contrasts work.  If you extended the comparison with an image it works even better...

For instance, in Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare has Romeo talk about Juliet's beauty in the following extended metaphor/juxtaposition... O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!/
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night/Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear... Juliet makes the light grow in a room, so much so that it is like looking at a beautiful gem in an Ethiopian's earring just like she shines walking through the nighttime. This opposite is a stark contrast, and it uses a concrete image to support it.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to ask again if you need further clarification.

As an instructor of literature and the humanities, my experience is as broad as the experience I have gained in the classroom. As a published author and journalist, I have first hand industry experience. Between the two, I have the experience, knowledge, and research experience that could certainly answer any questions that may be asked of me.

Quite specifically, as an instructor I am an extremely well qualified candidate as an initial resource as well as a person who knows specifically where to gather the correct information at any given time. As a published journalist and novelist, my experience broadens into the fundimental understanding of the craft and its application and business. I was also previously an AllExperts expert several years ago, and was well received by all who I helped.

Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.

There are a tremendous amount of publications my work has appeared in and I can't list them all because of space constraints. Many newspapers, radio, and PBS programming. Also, many literary journals for both fiction and nonfiction academic work.

A.S. Wentworth Institute Of Technology
B.S. Fitchburg State College
M.A. Fitchburg State College, Thesis "The Modern Twain Epoch"

Magna Cum Laude.