Literature/classical lit

Hi. I'm looking for terminology, specifically, when a storyteller rewrites a classical tale and modernizes the objects and elements of it (for example, a sword in the original story might now be a gun, or a horse might now be a car), is there a literary term for that?
Thank you.

This is a tough one - mainly because there isn't necessarily one universal term we use.  The word "adaptation" would be the closest, as the story has setting/technology/character adaptations that serve a purpose.  In Billy Morrissette's film Scotland, PA, Morrissette adapts Macbeth to a comedy set in a 1970's fast food restaurant to retell the story in a modern, humorous fashion while making a nod to 1970's culture and an uptick in American Consumerism.  He had to adapt some things so that they would make sense, though, for instance rather than Birnam Wood coming to Dunsinane, it is the vegetarian McDuff that comes to the meat-pushing fast food restaurant that eventually undoes the empire of McBeth, King of Burgers.

Another term is "interpretation," but any time a work of art needs to be changed, it sort of takes both into consideration - both the new artist's interpretation of the original text, and then their new adaptation into the new work of art.  I have heard the term "transmutation," "reenvisioning," and even the very limiting "remixing" or "remaking" as well.  

I would stick with adaptation.

As an instructor of literature and the humanities, my experience is as broad as the experience I have gained in the classroom. As a published author and journalist, I have first hand industry experience. Between the two, I have the experience, knowledge, and research experience that could certainly answer any questions that may be asked of me.

Quite specifically, as an instructor I am an extremely well qualified candidate as an initial resource as well as a person who knows specifically where to gather the correct information at any given time. As a published journalist and novelist, my experience broadens into the fundimental understanding of the craft and its application and business. I was also previously an AllExperts expert several years ago, and was well received by all who I helped.

Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.

There are a tremendous amount of publications my work has appeared in and I can't list them all because of space constraints. Many newspapers, radio, and PBS programming. Also, many literary journals for both fiction and nonfiction academic work.

A.S. Wentworth Institute Of Technology
B.S. Fitchburg State College
M.A. Fitchburg State College, Thesis "The Modern Twain Epoch"

Magna Cum Laude.