Literature/Meters used in Shakespeare's plays

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me what purposes tetrameter,blank verse and rhymed verse serve in Shakespeare's plays.For example,prose is used to create comic effect or sometimes to add a sense of realism to a scene.So what about the ones mentioned above? Thanks!

Hello Pree,

Thanks for your question. Blank verse in Shakespeare is written in iambic pentameter, and here is an excellent explanation of how it works:

The main purpose of rhymed verse is to give an impression of beauty, either through a metaphor or symbol, or just by using a clever rhyme. This makes it memorable and enjoyable to the reader. Check out Shakespeare's sonnets for some of the best examples. Some of his earlier plays are also the ones that use rhyming the most, such as Love's Labour's Lost and Romeo and Juliet.

Keep studying! :-)

- Tue Sorensen

Tue Sorensen

I am an authority on the complete works of Shakespeare, and can answer any questions relating to his plays, poetry and life. I specialize in interpretation, double-meanings and translation into modern language.

I was a top-rated Allexperts expert on this same subject several years ago.

Former member of the Danish Shakespeare Society, as well as an active participant in the scholarly SHAKSPER mailing list.

Three years of studying English literature at the University of Aarhus, Denmark