Literature/Meters used in Shakespeare's plays

Question
Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me what purposes tetrameter,blank verse and rhymed verse serve in Shakespeare's plays.For example,prose is used to create comic effect or sometimes to add a sense of realism to a scene.So what about the ones mentioned above? Thanks!

Answer
Hello Pree,

Thanks for your question. Blank verse in Shakespeare is written in iambic pentameter, and here is an excellent explanation of how it works: https://versemeter.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/iambic-pentameter-the-principles-of-metrical-variation-part-1-feminine-endings-simple-variations/

The main purpose of rhymed verse is to give an impression of beauty, either through a metaphor or symbol, or just by using a clever rhyme. This makes it memorable and enjoyable to the reader. Check out Shakespeare's sonnets for some of the best examples. Some of his earlier plays are also the ones that use rhyming the most, such as Love's Labour's Lost and Romeo and Juliet.

Keep studying! :-)

- Tue Sorensen

Literature

Tue Sorensen