Literature/War & Peace

Is Tolstoy's War & Peace one book or a collection of books?

I came across this link and was confused.

Hi James

This is a relatively straightforward question.

War and Peace has had several editions published in Tolstoy's lifetime - but for the most part, there were only minor changes and one big expansion that equal the one book we have today.

There is one reason there are multiple books. At the time of it's writing, it was not unusual for an author to segment parts of their pieces into portions called "books," and moreover if they were originally serialized for one reason or another. Another author who did this during the same time period from another part of the globe was Charles Dickens, and you can find it throughout his books - many of which were serialized through subscription services and in magazines.

War and Peace was originally serialized and released in small portions. That eventually stopped, another big chunk was added, and so we have the complete version we have today. Without doing any hard research, I cannot tell you whether it was the serialization or the fact that it was just written when it was that made Tolstoy organize it in this manner, but it is likely the latter since Anna Karenina (one of my favorite books of all time - you should check it out if you haven't) is also organized in this manner.

In short, it is one volume, organized into several parts that are simply called "books."

As an instructor of literature and the humanities, my experience is as broad as the experience I have gained in the classroom. As a published author and journalist, I have first hand industry experience. Between the two, I have the experience, knowledge, and research experience that could certainly answer any questions that may be asked of me.

Quite specifically, as an instructor I am an extremely well qualified candidate as an initial resource as well as a person who knows specifically where to gather the correct information at any given time. As a published journalist and novelist, my experience broadens into the fundimental understanding of the craft and its application and business. I was also previously an AllExperts expert several years ago, and was well received by all who I helped.

Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.

There are a tremendous amount of publications my work has appeared in and I can't list them all because of space constraints. Many newspapers, radio, and PBS programming. Also, many literary journals for both fiction and nonfiction academic work.

A.S. Wentworth Institute Of Technology
B.S. Fitchburg State College
M.A. Fitchburg State College, Thesis "The Modern Twain Epoch"

Magna Cum Laude.