Living on a Budget, Saving Money/when are you ready for kids?

Question
Hi there Kindred,
I write for a web site, www.moneyunder30.com. I'm writing an article about how to know when you are ready for kids. Do you have any thoughts about when people are financially ready to start a family? Any idea how much people should budget for babies? Thanks!

Answer
Dear Patty,

I have always been of the opinion that if people wait until they are financially "ready" for children, they won't have children.  That being said, there are, of course, some things to realize and plan for.  

Having a savings to cover 3-6 months of bills is a recommendation for everyone.  If the household is two incomes and that is the plan after a baby arrives, check into the cost of day care, and be prepared that one parent could end up with some days off in excess of PTO.  Once a couple purchases the baby equipment such as car seats, bed, swing, high chair, etc., covers the health care costs of birth, and arranges day care, babies just basically need to be fed, changed, and nurtured for the first two years of their life.  

The expenses for having a baby are definitely sizable at the "start up," but children are pretty satisfied with food and love for the first few years of life.  It has been my observation that children learn what they think they "need" by the lifestyle of their parents.  Regardless of income, the simpler the lifestyle, the fewer expenses any family will incur.  If a young couple "needs" all the gadgets, bells and whistles, then their baby will too.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
KD Liz
www.thelandofgoshen.com  

Living on a Budget, Saving Money

Kindred Beisinger penname K D Elizabeth Beisinger