Living With Disabilities/I guess this is a disability in a way

Question
All my life I have walked on my tip toes and it hasn't really affected me until here recently. My doctor suggested I try to stretch my muscles in my legs and see how I do. However, in the mornings it feels as if my muscles are so tight that I have never stretched them. I have already done physical therapy. What would you recommend for this?

Answer
Dear Kymberly,

Thank-you for your e-mailed question. I've taken a little time to look it over, and digest it. I do hope that you won't mind if I ask you for some extra information. I would like to be able to give as thorough and helpful a response as possible. For this reason, I would find it very helpful, if you could answer the following questions, which will provide me with a bit more information about your sitiation:

1. Do you have a medical diagnosis that explains why you walk on your tip toes? (This may be something like Congenital Talipes Equiinus, or similar. Please tell me what it is.).

2. If you do have a medical diagnosis, when was this first made, and how old were you at the time?

3. Have you ever had any serious injury to your legs, ankles, feet or toes, such as a fracture or severe dislocation, that may make walking difficult?

4. You say you have always walked on tip toes, but that it did not really cause problems until recently. How old are you now, and how long has the walking on tip toes been a problem?

5. What exactly is the problem that you experience because of walking on tip toes? (Please tell me if you experience pain, instability, loss of sensation, or if it is muscle stiffness and tightness).

6. You tell me that you have tried physical therapy. Has this been at all successful?

7. When did you try physical therapy, and how long ago was this?

8. Have you tried any other things that might help, as well as physical therapy? (These might include exercises, splints, or even surgery. Please let me know what you have tried).

9. Are you under the care of a Specialist, or a particular Doctor, to assist with your treatment?

I do apologise for having asked so much of you. I feel like I am posing a number of questions, in response to your original one! However, if you can answer, and provide the relevant information, it would definitely assist me to provide as full and detailed an answer as I can. I would like to be able to do that, so as to give you the best advice that I can.

I look forward to hearing from you again.
Elaine Ellis.

Living With Disabilities

Elaine Ellis