Living with Obesity/obese

Question
I am obese, I'm 5'5 and 250 lbs.

I want to get into shape but I don't want to be thin or muscular. does that make sense??

I want to stay thick but I want curves. I want to get rid of the fat I have on my arms and back.

help?

Answer
Hi Kayla,

You really can't tell your body exactly how to lose weight for example you can't just lose weight in one area and not in another.  You will lose weight all over and it all depends on how you are naturally built as to how you will look (some people have bigger hips and thighs while others are bigger in the middle).  You can't really just lose weight in your arms and back.  What you can do is start an exercise program with some cardiovascular exercise and strength training and this will help you lose weight as you will need muscle in your arms and back to lose weight there.  You won't get muscular unless you start an extreme weight lifting program so there is no need to worry about that.  As far as too thin, you just need to lose weight until you feel comfortable and then maintain that.  To best control it all you would need to log your food and exercises and determine how many calories you need to it and how much exercise you need to do to get to a certain weight and then it will tell you how to maintain the weight you get to that you feel comfortable at.  Depending on how much weight you want to lose would determine what exercises to do but you need muscle to burn fat.  You can use websites like:  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/.  to help you create a program to suit your needs.  Good luck!

Living with Obesity

Kristina Crossway