Living with Obesity/Where am I going wrong?

Question
Hello.

I am a 25 year-old female that currently weighs 248 lbs, standing 5'4". I have always been very heavy (born weighing almost 9 lbs, and have always, ALWAYS had what my mom called 'baby chub'). I'm tired of being overweight, tired of having people snicker when I decide to splurge and have a candy bar for the first time in months. I am currently lactating, work a night-shift job that is very sedentary (hotel security guard), and have restricted my calories as best I can. I have a black coffee on my way to work, a 12oz can of cola at work with my frozen dinner meal (usually between 400-500 calories/meal), and then have a piece of fruit or a salad when I get home. Aside from that, I drink water or unsweetened tea, and walk my dog for about an hour a day (I HATE running. I'd rather the bear eat me than run), and I'm a bit lost as to why I'm now -gaining- weight.

Can you please offer advice?

Answer
Hi Sam,
It's tough to say without getting a complete background on you but I will try to offer suggestions as best as I can.  I come from an overweight family and I know that I have to exercise if I want to lose weight.  Weight training is the best way as it builds muscle and helps you burn calories regularly.  Just watching what I eat does not work for me so I have to exercise or I will put on weight.  Just some people are built that way.  What I find works best is using a program like sharecare.com to help build me a program to help with both food and exercise.  This helps you track everything so you can see what areas you need to work on.  Some people have to work harder but that is just the way it goes.  But I've yet to find anyone who can't do it.  Best of luck!

Living with Obesity

Kristina Crossway